CLAREMONT, Calif. – The Slugs took the court in the second round of the NCAA National Championships in quest of a record breaking eighth National Championship. They faced the host of the regional bracket, #2 ranked Claremont-Mudd-Scripps.
Against CMS, the Slugs battled in doubles but ultimately lost each. The highlight of the doubles round was a matchup of the #5 ITA West Region pair of Adrian Sirovica and Kyle Richter of UC Santa Cruz against the #1 ITA West Region pairing from the Stags of Skyler Butts and Daniel Morkovine. The Slugs ultimatley lost 8-4. Head Coach Mike Napoli for praised Sirovica, saying "[He] played a Titanic match against Claremont All American, it went three and four."
In the #2 singles match, Chadwick Stone (UCSC) fell to Glenn Hull (CMS) 6-0, 6-1 to push CMS within a point of secruing the win. Sirovica fought for every point in the deciding match, but ending up falling to Butts in the #1 singles match 6-3, 6-4, with this loss wrapping up the season.
"This Season was about creating an environment of learning by process and progress," said head coach Mike Napoli. "The Tennis program has a DNA of 7 National Championships. Our task is to add to that illustrious record. The guys proved they were of that heritage by competing for UCSC in these Nationals."
Napoli is looking to build on the momentum going into next year. "We have eight returners and they are all well motivated, they're going to be putting in a lot of work over summer. The schedule I have for the next year is going to be the toughest in the history of this program containing such schools as University of Southern California, Fresno State, UC Irvine and the top D3 schools in the nation."
Chadwick Stone said there were many highlights from a successful season including "...Kyle Richter and Adrian Sirovica winning the fall ITA doubles tournament; qualifying them for Nationals and becoming All-Americans."
With such a young talented team returning next year, there is reason to beleive that next year the Slugs have the ability to complete for their 8th National Championship.
#2 Claremont Mudd Scripps 5, UC Santa Cruz 0
May 13 at CLAREMONT, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center) NCAA Championships –Second Round
1. Skyler Butts/Daniel Morkovine (CMS) def. Adrian Sirovica/Kyle Richter (UCSCM) 8-4
2. Julian Gordy/Oliver Seifert (CMS) def. Chadwick Stone/Ryan Dugan (UCSCM) 8-5
3. Glenn Hull/Bryan Mehall (CMS) def. Chad Le Duff/Sean Hollister (UCSCM) 8-3
1. Skyler Butts (CMS) def. Adrian Sirovica (UCSCM) 6-3, 6-4
2. Glenn Hull (CMS) def. Chadwick Stone (UCSCM) 6-0, 6-1
3. Daniel Morkovine (CMS) vs. Chad Le Duff (UCSCM) 6-3, 4-2, unfinished
4. Max Macey (CMS) vs. Kyle Richter (UCSCM) 6-1, 4-1, unfinished
5. Patrick Wildman (CMS) vs. Ryan Dugan (UCSCM) 6-3, 4-3, unfinished
6. Julian Gordy (CMS) vs. Derek Levchenko (UCSCM) 6-4, 2-1, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,1)