Players choose UC Santa Cruz over a variety of Division I, 2 and 3 programs for many reasons. From the world-class academic opportunities of the University of California, to our amazing campus, UC Santa Cruz is an amazing place to go to school, but more than anything players come to UC Santa Cruz to be a part of something special. We are a competitive Independent Division III soccer program that aims for a level of excellence that transcends divisions as we seek our maximum potential both on and off the field. Players who play here do so for a love of the game, and we have high expectations for our players both on and off the field
The Recruiting Process
Our team is formed through a combination of recruiting and open tryouts at the beginning of the season in early August. For prospective Slugs it is important that you understand the recruiting process. Because we are a division III program we can have contact with you throughout your high school career, but we recommend getting in touch with us as early as the summer before your junior year so you can start becoming a part of our recruiting picture. The earlier you get in touch with us, the more opportunities we will have to have you attend one of our player identification camps / clinics and the potential increases for us to come see you play as well. It is also important to recognize the level of academic excellence it takes to get into the UC system and works towards the first goal which is admittance to the university. Once admitted and committed to coming to UCSC, you can make a point to attend our Advanced Player Development Residential Camp in early August and plan to be on campus for tryouts come mid August. Half our season takes place before the academic school year even begins in late September.
2. Sign up for Front Rush, our recruiting website: Signing up is free and you will be notified about all the upcoming recruiting events and camps being held at UCSC as well as which tournaments we will be attending with our staff. RECRUIT QUESTIONNAIRE.
3. Come to our camps: This is a great opportunity for you to showcase your abilities while getting an inside view of our coaching style and expectations. Click on the “ID Camps” link on our home page for camp information. We usually have a variety of 2-day clinics on select weekends in fall, winter andspring. We hold 4-5 day residential camps over the summer months.
3. Make a visit to our campus: Come and visit one of the most beautiful college campuses in the world! To reserve a spot on our campus tour click here. In addition make sure to contact the coaching staff via email @ email@example.com to schedule time to meet while you are here.
4. Send us a video: Due to the number of players that contact us every year, we are physically unable to make it out to see everyone play. Especially if you are unable to attend our camps / clinics, please put together a short (5-10 min) highlight video that showcases every part of your game (even your weaknesses) and send it to:
Women’s Soccer. Attn: Emily Scheese, Intercollegaite Atheltics
1156 High St.
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
5. Plan to see us play: While it is hard to meet with recruits on game days, it is extremely valuable for you to get a clear picture of our level of play, our style of play, and the atmosphere surrounding a college soccer game at UC Santa Cruz. Come to a game to cheer on the Slugs and come introduce yourself to the coaching staff after the game.